Hi guys!! Illustration Friday ARTISTS is a new series highlighting YOU — the IF Participants. We are randomly emailing out mini-interview questions. You could be next — watch your inbox! Welcome to your art community! :)
Name: Richard Ewing
Fave IF Topic you’ve illustrated:
This was a very difficult choice. Over the past years there have been many enjoyable challenges and images. I find that, at times, the word prompt is a lot of fun to conceptualize around and opine to but the resulting art may end up just fair to middlin’. Conversely, I’ve occasionally read a new week’s word and thought –I’ll not get much out of this stupid word — and then found that the finished illustration is one of my favorites. Odd how that works.
Having to select just one I think I’ll go with a more recent one from last month: TEACHER.
When I’m not illustrating I’m teaching art at a couple of colleges, so this was right down my alley. I approach each IF prompt by finding a known personage to caricature, and this week’s victim was Severus Snape.
1. What is something you would like to learn to do?
When I set out to participate in Illustration Friday I had two goals in mind.
One was to experiment visually with wild abandon — self directed. (and to master these explorations)
Secondly, I wanted to increase my speed in completing finished art.
These are still my goals, so in a nutshell I’d say I am teaching myself to shorten the time it takes to do an image, while increasing the professionality and polish of the finished art.
2. What’s your most-used art tool?
The Paintbrush. Most of my inking and paintwork is done with a round or flat.
3. 3 things that inspire you (yes, only 3):
1) Looking at drawings and paintings that push the edge form-wise, application-wise, and compositionally. If it bends my eye, then I want wallow in it.
2) Studying the creative arc of all artists, ranging from musicians, illustrators, writers, actors etc. I delve into their peaks and valleys and try to understand why or how they arrived at any particular point or level. This is sometimes more revealing than the art they create. It’s all about process.
3) Other friends and colleagues who are busy doing THEIR art. I like to have others around to ping my pong…. uh, so to speak.
4. What are you looking forward to?
My next cup of coffee… and then on a larger horizon, having more time to solely do illustration projects and the like… I just want to paint and draw pictures… and ride my bike.
5. Tell us something random about yourself.
My favorite color is Violet …but not purple.
Richard has been participating in IF for 122 weeks in a row!! Amazing! Check out his work!