“Art washes away from the soul the dusts of everyday life” – Pablo Picasso
Believe it or not making art for your own enjoyment actually has its benefits to both your mind and body. We often spend our weeks rushing around focusing on our everyday commitments whether its your job, looking after kids, school or ticking off daily errands, that we never really get the chance to relax.
When you’re overwhelmed with the stresses of a busy lifestyle, actually embracing your creativity can actually reduce anxieties and stresses to clear your mind making you feel better. So art itself is extremely theraputic and to fill you in abit more as to why doodling, colouring or painting should become apart of your weekly schedule here’s 3 reasons why art is good for you!
1. Helps you to slow down – During the week we’re all on the go and so being a little creative whether it’s drawing, colouring, painting or snapping a photo with your camera actually helps you to physically and mentally slow down. Rushing around doesn’t do our bodies internally any good and so making time to do something artistic that you enjoy is healthy to both your body and mind.
2. You embrace a side of yourself you might not usually – Not all of us work a creative job but this doesn’t mean if you’re an accountant for example you can get inky and doodle away! You may even surprise yourself with the things you create and through that feel a sense of achievement in the things you make which builds up your positivity in mind.
3. Self expression and letting out your emotions – Much like music and drama making art in whichever form, helps you to express a side of yourself you might find hard to do otherwise. Like musicians who infuse emotion into the music they write, you can place emotions into the art pieces you make. In turn this helps you to acknowledge your inner feelings and let out things you might not find the words to say which you are can through a brush or ink for example.
Featured illustration is by Oana Befort and you can find out more about her work here.
More art inspiration!
Latest posts by Kate Leonard (see all)
- Two creative cures for when you feel your art isn’t good enough. - July 2, 2015
- 3 reasons why making art is good for you! - March 29, 2015
- How to chose and use your art materials wisely - March 5, 2015
Posted by Kate Leonard on 03/29/15 under artists
Comments Off on 3 reasons why making art is good for you!