Archive for the ‘art supplies’ Category
If you’re a digital illustrator seeking a way to make work that looks handmade, you simply MUST check out this huge collection of digital brushes and tools from the great Nicky Laatz!
Equipped with just this pack – you will be an unstoppable watercolour design machine…without even picking up a paint brush :)
Posted by Thomas James on 06/03/15 under art supplies,creativity,digital,links,office,painterly,pen/brush and ink,product review,resources,studio life,Stuff,technique,Tools
Comments Off on Incredibly Useful Digital Watercolour Tools for Illustrators
If you’re anything like the thousands of creatives out there, you’ll no doubt have something called “GotToHaveEveryArtSupply-itis”and its incurable. We get so excited and enthusiastic when the glorious sound of the art supply shop opens like an unknown force pulling us in against our will (
not really), to when there’s a sale online we just have to get them all.Although with this vast growing collection of art supplies, in which we think deep down will bestow upon us great creative talent, comes being practical and responsible to.
Each art material has its advantages and disadvantages, however its actually how you use them that will help you to produce great work.So here’s a few tips to really help you choose your creative weapons of choice wisely and wield them like a true creative warrior!
1. Combine materials that compliment each other – Just because you have an artbox filled with yummy supplies, doesn’t mean you have to throw everything into the mix to make the perfect receipe. Experimenting is key to know what works for you and your style to build your creative process. Look closely at the textures, contrasts and effects each material gives you and which would compliment each other nicely to create the perfect creative dish. For example watercolours and coloured pencil work great together to create colour washes with beautiful tone work.
2. He’s got it so I need to have it to – No doubt you’ve done this to where your inspirational creative idol uses a specific art supply and you feel the urge to possess it to achieve greatness. Although this isn’t to say its not the quality of product that gives them great results, bear in mind they’ve been honing their skills and processes with it for countless hours through “practice“. Not every art supply works the same with every creatives style and process, but experiment with different materials to see if introducing it to your creative making steps will benefit the pieces you create.
3. Invest within your budget- Last but not least investing and budgeting, understandably art supplies often aren’t cheap as they come in so many different brands, qualities and quantities at different prices. There’s also artist and student grade materials, however the key is be wise and stick to your budget. Test materials out and if you feel they have a permanent place in how you make your art then this gives you the option to invest in them further.
Good luck creatives and have fun wielding those art supplies!
Featured image by Amy Van Luijk you can find out more about her work here.
“I get asked all the time how I’ve gotten to work with clients like The New York Times, WIRED, Pentagram, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, and many others. The most complete and useful answer I could give is all included in 15 Steps to Freelance Illustration“
The New Colossal Bundle with $10,063 worth of Top-Quality Resources ñ From $49
Inky Deals is one of the leading deals websites in the design community, with an extended family of more than 300,000 design enthusiasts. Itís the place to go if you want to buy premium resources at unbeatable prices, whether youíre a graphic or web designer, developer, or business owner looking to improve yourself and your work.
Theyíre the only ones who offer a 200% money back guarantee on every product.†This means that if youíre not happy with it, you get your money back and you also get to keep the product.
Inky Deals came up with the biggest design bundle ever, the immensely popular†The New Colossal Bundle with $10,063 worth of Top-Quality Resources ñ From $49. And because they’re our friends, they’re offering you an exclusive $9 discount coupon, so you can get this amazing deal at an even lower price! Use the code INKYCOLOSS9†at checkout.
The bundle contains:
The New Colossal Bundle
– 117 Vector Sets worth $1,755
– 425 Vector Illustrations worth $1,700
– 40 T-shirt Designs worth $600
– 18 Texture Packs worth $265
– Tatianna Font Family worth $35
DesignTNT Massive Library
– 233 Vector Sets worth $2,290
– 101 Web & Print Resources Packs worth $1,070
– 109 Photoshop & Illustrator Addons worth $1,036
– 69 High-Resolution Texture Packs worth $729
– 67 Brushes Sets worth $486
– 10 Premium Tutorials worth $97
This entire bundle comes with†an extended royalty license,†meaning you can use the resources in an unlimited number of personal and commercial purposes, and even merchandise for sales, such as: T-shirts, hoodies, mugs etc!
Still not convinced?
Download an amazing freebie with 4 vector illustrations, 4 textures and a T-shirt design worth $35 and use it as you want!
What’s in the bundle:
Click here to view the entire content of†this amazing bundle!
Posted by Thomas James on 04/16/14 under art supplies
Comments Off on The New Colossal Bundle from Inky Deals!
Do you have a pencil jar full of stubs? Don’t throw them out. Upcycle them into colorful jewelry for kids of all ages!
This week I am traveling to the woods of New Hampshire with my family for Squam Art Workshops, and that means I’m transporting art supplies. Some for my kiddo and some for myself. Instead of throwing them in a boring baggie, I thought I could do better and inspire some art-making in the process. These pencil cases for kiddos made me want to make some marks.
But for my own art supplies, a pencil pouch won’t cut it. I prefer to take my brushes, colored pencils, charcoals and sharpies in a roll. It’s more organized for a quick doodle, and the tips of pencils stay sharp (bonus!). I have a simple bamboo roll, but think I’ll be upgrading to one of the beauties soon…